Ingredients for Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes:
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons well-shaken buttermilk, divided*
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
* If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, use one cup milk and 1 T lemon juice or 1 T vinegar. Mix and let stand for 5 minutes. Use in any buttermilk recipe
Preparation of Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes:
Soak oats in 3/4 cup buttermilk 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
Stir egg, butter, brown sugar, remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, and oat mixture into dry ingredients until just combined.
Heat a griddle over medium heat until hot and lightly brush with oil. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden-brown, about 1 minute. Flip with a spatula and cook other side, about 1 minute more. (Lightly oil griddle between batches.)
Top with sliced bananas and walnuts