6 Tbsp raw amaranth
- Heat a small/medium pot over med-high/high heat.
- Test if the pot is hot enough by adding a drop of water. If it instantly balls up, dances around in the pot, and evaporates you’re good to go.
- Once hot, add in 1-2 T raw amaranth, then cover with a lid and quickly shimmy/slide the pot back and forth just above the burner. If your heat is set correctly it should start popping within 1-3 seconds and finish within 10-15 seconds. It burns very quickly!
- Just as the amaranth pops are slowing empty it into a bowl. *
- Replace the pan back on the burner to heat back up for 15-30 seconds.
- Repeat the popping process until desired amount has been reached.
- Let cool in the bowl.
- Add toppings, milk, cereal sauce, nut butter, nuts, yogurt, etc.
* Empty the amaranth into the bowl just as the popping is slowing down. If you wait until it’s completely stopped it will burn.
You can also incorporate popped amaranth into granola bars, peanut butter cups, cookies, or even use it as an ice cream topping. I think I’ll try to spice it up with the cajun spices. Why not?
6 T=about 2 cups popped.
Read about the nutrition in amaranth.