This colorful and flavorful Beet, Cucumber and Orange Salad is fast and easy to prepare.
Ingredients for Beet, Cucumber and Orange Salad:
• 4 to 5 medium fresh beets, rinsed, trimmed,
and cooked or microwaved until just tender.
• 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, and sliced
• 2 small sweet seedless oranges
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
• 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon horseradish, optional
• Thinly sliced red onions, optional
• Feta cheese, optional
• Salt and pepper to taste
Peel the cooked beets, then quarter them and slice them about 1/8 inch thick. Combine them in a mixing bowl with the cucumber, orange, and herbs.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, maple syrup, and horseradish and mix well. Pour over the beet mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once or cover and chill before serving.
Rinse the beets and cut away all but an inch of the stalks. Place in a deep microwave-safe with an inch or so of water at the bottom. Microwave for 2 to 4 minutes per beet (2 minutes for small beets, 4 for medium-large). If the beets aren’t done when you check them, turn them over and go for another minute per beet. They’re done when you can just pierce them—try not to overcook.
Read more about beets nutrition and nutritional value and beets health benefits.